“Ebenezer” Methodist Chapel, Collycroft
The Methodist Society at Collycroft was originally of the Primitive Methodist tradition, suited to the working class peolpe of Collycroft. The early history is obscure but it seems that the founders of the Society first worshipped in members’ houses and a Sunday school was formed around 1842.
The present Chapel was built in the early 1850s on a site which, according to local tradition, had been a donkey stable. There is a date of 1851 on the gable end of the building but the chapel was probably opened in early 1853.
The Society would have been affiliated to the Foleshill (Coventry) Primitive Methodist Circuit in the early years, linked with other chapels at Paradise (Edgewick Road) and Bulkington. Later Collcroft was joined to Attleborough and Queen’s Road in Nuneaton and, with Methodist Union in 1932, became part of the Nuneaton and Atherstone Methodist circuit.
A new school hall was built on to the chapel in 1907, and a further school room and vestry added in the 1950s. The premises were extensively refurbished with grant aid from various sources in 2010.