History of Ryton Church
There were originally two Methodist churches in the parish of Bulkington: Bulkington Methodist church and Ryton Methodist church. Ryton Methodist Church was initially situated in Long Street but moved to Rugby Road in 1911. A gazetteer from 1848 reports that there was a place of worship for ‘Wesleyans’ in the parish, making the Methodist church (though not church building) the third oldest church in the village. Bulkington Methodist church closed after 110 years on 12 October 1960 when the building had become unsafe; its congregation joined Ryton Methodist Church.